December 1953 : Creation of the Institut Pasteur in Phnom Penh, following the proclamation of the independence of the Kingdom of Cambodia (Directors: Dr. Maurice Huard from 1953 to 1955, and Dr. René Triau, 1955-1958). The Institute produced first veterinary vaccines but soon increased its capacity for human vaccines against rabies and smallpox.
January 1958 : The name was given of Institut Pasteur in Cambodia and its tasks were directed towards human biology and pathology. (Directors: 1958-1960: Dr. René Triau, 1960 – 1975: Dr. Yves GOUEFFON). In 1961, Dr. Claude Chastel created the service of human virology and medical entomology, and isolated Chikungunya virus (1961), dengue virus (1962) and Japanese encephalitis virus (1965). Then he worked on polio virus and human rabies. In 1967, Dr. Klein of ORSTOM developed an entomology laboratory to study the transmission of microbes by hematophagous vectors. The Institute opened at that time a service of analytical chemistry and industrial chemistry and pharmaceutics for analyses of water and agricultural products.
1975-1979 : During the regime of the Khmer Rouge, the buildings were destroyed.
1986-1994 : The Institut Pasteur in Phnom Penh located in Toul Kork reborn under the direction of Mrs. Dr. Kruy Sunlay. Biological and microbiological analyzes (parasites, dengue, diarrhea) were developed and academic education was provided for medical staff.
August 27, 1992 : A convention between the Government of Cambodia and the Institut Pasteur was signed in Phnom Penh by Professor Maxime Schwartz, Director General of the Institut Pasteur and Dr. Yim Chhay Ly for the State of Cambodia.
March 29, 1994 : The foundation stone was celebrated by the French Minister of Health, Mrs Simone Veil and Dr. Chhea Tang, Minister of Health of Cambodia in the presence of Prof. Maxime Schwartz, Director General of the Institut Pasteur.
February 10, 1995 : the Institut Pasteur in Cambodia was officially opened by the Prime Minister of the Royal Government of Cambodia, Prince Norodom Ranariddh, in the presence of Prof Bernard Debré, French Minister of Cooperation. Dr. François Flye Sainte-Marie is officially the direction of the Institute and Ms. Kruy Sunlay, behind the rebirth of the Institut Pasteur in Cambodia, was appointed Deputy Director. The Institut Pasteur in Cambodia opened a new era and Khmer-French cooperation.
The institute developed first a sector of biology. It opened in 1995 a first center of rabies vaccination and a first center of anonymous and free testing of HIV / AIDS (CDAG) in Cambodia. The virology unit was inaugurated in December 1996 in the presence of His Excellency Samdech Hun Sen, then the molecular epidemiology working on malaria in January 2001, and immunology in 2005. After the wave of emerging viruses that caused acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and avian influenza H5N1, a regional biosafety laboratory level P3 was inaugurated on 25 April 2008 in the presence of Dr. Mam Bunheng, Minister of Health, and Mrs. Rama Yadé, French Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Human Rights.
March 11, 2013 : A ceremony to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Institut Pasteur in Cambodia will take place in the presence of Dr Mam Bunheng and Pr Alice Dautry, Director General of Institut Pasteur. On this occasion will be the laying of the foundation stone of a building for a regional cross-disciplinary research on communicable diseases and emerging pathogens. Brochure 60th anniversary
Directors of Institut Pasteur du Cambodge since 1995:
1995 – 1999: Dr. François FLYE SAINTE-MARIE (Med)
1999 – 2001: Pr. Yves BUISSON (Med)
2001 – 2009: Dr. Jean-Louis SARTHOU (Pharm)
2009 – 2014 : Pr. Vincent DEUBEL (Doc Sc)
2014 – 2019 : Dr. Didier FONTENILLE
2019 – Present : Dr. Laurence BARIL